Saturday, May 31, 2008

My home in Tanavua - Suva

Friends have been requesting to see photos of where I live in Fiji. Here they are!

A nice area kept safe & secure by security guards outside. Break-ins & theft is a problem here in Suva so we have full-time security guards outside & lots of mad barking dogs to keep the area safe.

However, break-ins still occur. I just found out 4x young men were caught climbing the fence of our place last christmas! Apparently, many break-ins occur by youths after they have been drinking Kava - the popular Fijian custom here. They use sugar cane knives to wedge open windows or doors.

So I have been told, by my hosts, to always keep the front porch lights on, keep all doors locked, be friendly with the neighbours & with the security guards so we may all watch out for each other.
Since my hosts are away this weekend, I have been asked to turn on the TV tmw night & turn the TV so it may face the window so the security guard may watch his beloved international rugby 7's - leave the TV on all night so he can follow all the matches - happening in Twickenham in London right now. Maybe I should give him a beer too?
Apprarently, Suva really rocks here when the 7's are on! Fijians are very proud of their rugby - including the women. My interpreter complained last week of no sleep because the neighbourhood in her area was roaring with cheers from Fijians early in the morning when they were watching the 7's! Lucky I have deaf ears. Hee!

No comments: