Monday, May 26, 2008

My weekend in Suva

Hi everyone! A lovely weekend was had with my friend. We successfully found our way into the city on the bus.

We met one of my deaf students in town - as you can see in the photos - the young girl standing next to the coconuts. She took us for a tour through the town & rested in the park with us & her hearing friend - the park security guard. We were amazed at how deaf friendly this park security guard was - he didn't know sign language but was ever so comfortable with using gesture, eye contact etc. to communicate with the girl & wanted to make conversation with us all. Fijian people seem to be so accomodating of deaf people here & seem rather deaf aware. Perhaps because there is so much diversity here. My friend & I were truly amazed! In fact my friend thought the security guard & the deaf girl would make a great couple one day. Hee! There really are some great models of good practice here.

Later we went to the very crowded markets. I went to take a photo of my friend but suddenly I see a Fijian woman standing beside my friend posing for the photo also. It was rather funny!

Then we went to go shopping but discovered all the shops close here at 10.30am on Saturday & close all day Sunday as Sunday is a day of rest here. So not much to do here in Suva so we found a cafe to rest & chat.

My friend has now left for a few days to go island hopping, soak up the sun in paradise - whilst I stay on here to work. Lucky girl! We shall meet up again next weekend for a walk in the rainforest & hopefully see some Fijian dancing including the famous 'meke' dance by Fijian men.

Oh yes - great news! My visa is now sorted - I am now legally allowed to stay for 6-weeks. Phew! One Fijian woman at immigration standing in queue behind me at the immigration office was complaining about 'Fijian time' - everything so slow & laid back. She has been away overseas & forgot how slow it takes to get things done here. Actually I didnt mind the wait at the immigration office & didnt think it was all that bad. Perhaps I have adjusted well to 'Fijian time'.


Bye! Have a great week.

No comments: