Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Deaf Awareness Training for School Staff at Gospel High

Well today was my 1st day I had to put my new university-learned 'classroom behaviour management' skills into serious practice!

Students were getting too excited in my drama classes & would talk too much amongst themselves! This meant too much noise for me (& my hearing aids) & my interpreter! So I had to make myself known as 'strict' Miss Mills - a teacher not to messed with! I stopped the drama activities immediately (after several warnings) & had them sit down to practice silence in the room by reading their Shakespeare text books. I threatened them with staying back at lunch time if I caught anyone talking! This sure did work - as the room became silent ever so quickly! I hope the students will be keen co-operate with me in my next lesson as I think they will much prefer to play drama games rather than silent reading of text books. Fingers crossed ...

To finish off the day, I led my Deaf Awareness Training workshop for staff at this school. We had so much fun especially with the games I planned for them. We explored deaf communication tactics through eye contact, clear gestures, sign language, pointing etc. I confess I had teachers ask me before my workshop began - to stretch out my workshop where possible so they may have one less class to teach at the end of the day. Heh! Too many lessons in a day here & so little time for breaks - I don't blame them for wanting a little extra time out! Teachers work hard here & with so few resources.

I hope to do some more training for school staff next week. And tomorrow I hope to finally go & meet young deaf children in the 'all' deaf primary school next door. Watch this space ...



No comments: