Friday, June 6, 2008

My interpreter's last day - farewell!

Today was the last day for my interpreter. She has been of tremendous help to me this past 3-weeks! She has enjoyed herself & is glad to be going home to enjoy some of her usual comforts again such as hot showers, her blowdryer, sunshine, a comfortable bed etc ... As a token of thanks for her support, the teachers in my 'language' department & I went to a curry restaurant in town to eat some Indian snacks & drink Masala tea.

We had some great chats & were glad to meet up away from school. We talked about Fijian customs such as 'giving & sharing'. Fijians here always give to one another on a daily basis e.g., one teacher was making chutney this morning & gave some her chutney to her pregnant neighbour; my host gives his newspaper to the security guard outside our place each day; staff often share their lunch; staff will buy snacks for a few people - not just for themselves etc ... I remember my first day at the school I was a admiring a teacher's skirt & told her how lovely it was. The teacher said she will wash it & give it to me the next day. Oh dear - I had no intention of taking her lovely skirt but just wanted to give her a compliment. So I had to decline her offer several times before she gave up! Heh! So generous the Fijians are here - always sharing ...

My interpreter leaves this weekend for Australia & next week I will have another Australian interpreter fly to Suva to join me next week in school on Wednesday until the end of my placement at the school - 27th June.

I have just another 3-weeks left here! And then I will be finished university! Yay! Very exciting! But of course a part of me will be sad to leave this beautiful & generous country ...


No comments: