Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fijian sign language class at Gospel High

Today I observed my first sign language class for hearing students at Gospel High. All classrooms with deaf students are taught sign language each week by a deaf teacher from the deaf primary school. It was so inspiring to see! I wish more schools in Australia & the UK would do this! The hearing students clearly enjoyed themselves & were so good at it! It was fun to watch - no voices in the classroom & very little voiceover interpretation so all students will learn to watch with their eyes rather than listen.

I have been teaching the past 2-days without a sign language interpreter as I am still waiting for my replacement interpreter to arrive from Australia this Thursday. Some of the hearing students in my class were so helpful - if I didnt understand a word they were saying, they would fingerspell it for me. Just wonderful! Indeed this school is a very great model of good practice regarding deaf awareness & proper integration of deaf & hearing students - it really does strive to be a holistic school.












2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Could you tell me what type of sign language they use in Fiji? Is it ASL, Australian? Thanks!
Heidi

Emerald Skye said...

I haven't been to Fiji, but I've compared their dictionary to Auslan (Australian Sign Language) and it is the same.
K.